IT Systems Developer is sought by a company that plays a key role in influencing education policies. The largest of its kind in the UK, the company is driven by its commitment to making education a great industry to work in. This is a Fixed Term Contract for 18 months from start date.
Reporting to the Infrastructure and Security Manager, you’ll be responsible for providing development expertise across union systems alongside 3rd party developers and key departments. You will also oversee and take lead responsibility for the strategic design and implementation of new developments. Your duties will include:
- To lead on technical development projects and support on development projects, delivery and maintenance of:-
- Existing and future company applications
- Proprietary APIs
- API and Azure third-party integrations
- Company websites, and digital communication projects
- Application developments as identified in support of company’s strategic objectives, and to meet the evolving needs of the Union
- Responsible for ensuring all developments, current and future, are built to a high standard, with appropriate backup and business continuity implemented as standard and each tested at intervals.
- Using DevOps to manage developments and to routinely risk assess developments and suggest recommendations.
- Engage with external suppliers and developers relating to on-going developments, evaluation, procurement, and maintenance services
- Exploring, evaluating and exploiting the full potential of new and emerging IT developments, ensuring agreed solutions are cost-effective and support the strategic objectives of the Union.
- Provide development and support relating to the effective management of data and systems integration, extraction, transformation, loading, migration and consistency.
- Maintain a good understanding of Union IT systems and ensure all developments and changes are fully documented, as directed by the Infrastructure and Security Manager.
- Keep up-to-date with IT skills and undertake self-development to ensure effective performance for this role.
- The requirement to work flex working arrangements on occasion where necessary for the performance of the role.
- Relevant degree, professional IT qualification
- Well-developed literacy and numeracy skills
- Experience of working with SQL database systems (examples include MS SQL, Postgres, MySQL)
- Experience of working with a variety of tools, reporting and content management systems (examples include Drupal, Microsoft Sharepoint and Power BI)
- Experience of integrating and developing web-based and REST APIs
- Experience of working within a DevOps environment, using CI/CD and version control.
- Proven experience of information systems and web development
- Experience of Cloud technology environments (preferred Microsoft Azure)
- Good working knowledge of network principals
- Experience of programming user-centric applications and solutions.
- Proven knowledge and background in a range of programming and scripting languages and cloud platforms.
- Proven experience of integrating effective business continuity plans throughout the development lifecycle.
- Analytical approach to technical problem solving and manage project work within given deadlines
- Proven practical experience gained through working in a development role within a similar environment.
- Ability to interpret user requirements and develop technical solutions.
- Proven project management experience across all stakeholders in a development environment
- Ability to exercise judgement/make decisions
- Excellent verbal and written communication
- Ability to relate to a range of people
- Proven experience of working cooperatively within a team
- Ability to deal sensitively with confidential information and data
- Experience of establishing and managing effective relationships with key external stakeholders. For example, software suppliers, 3rd party developers.
- Ability to think innovatively to resolve problems and devise new solutions within agreed parameters
- Ability to undertake research projects
- Ability to communicate technical subject matters in clear language to non-technical stakeholders.
- Ability to create and contribute to specification documents and successfully manage relationships and timescales with external suppliers.
In return for your hard work you’ll receive the following benefits:
- Band: 4
- Part-time role – 21 hours per week
Salary: £52,468 per annum = £31,480.80 per annum pro rata
- Lunch allowance £1,188 (non-pensionable) = £846.81 lunch allowance pro rata
21 days per annum + additional leave during office closure at Christmas + bank holidays
- Flexitime scheme – travel arrangements will be discussed at interview stage
- Contributory pension scheme
- Applicants to provide a CV and covering letter/supporting statement (CVs only will not be accepted), covering why they think they are suitable for the role, and outlining how they meet the requirements of the role.
IT Systems Developer – Fixed Term Contract 18 months from start date
£32,826 pro rata + lunch allowance + benefits
SQL database systems| MS SQL | Postgres, MySQL | Reporting Tools & CMS Drupal, Microsoft Sharepoint and Power BI |