Registered Manager (childcare, residential) is sought by a children’s care home in Edgbaston Birmingham. You will be responsible for developing and maintaining effective management of high quality residential provision for young people, striving toward an Outstanding OFSTED rating and service delivery that places the young people’s best interest at the forefront.
As a current Registered Manager of childcare your key responsivities will include:
- Attain registration as the Home’s Registered Manager and fulfil the requirements as set out in the Department for Education The Children’s Homes (England) Regulations 2015 including Quality Standards.
- Ensure the Young People are being appropriately cared for in accordance with aims and objectives of the Children Acts 1989 & 2004, Care Standards Act 2000 and other relevant legislation & organisation policies.
- Assist in the process of child care planning meetings e.g. LAC Reviews, Statutory meetings, Professionals Meetings, Child Protection Conferences.
- Contribute to the development of the organisation policies and practice guidance.
- Ensure that anti-discriminatory/oppressive practices and issues of diversity are actively pursued in both recruitment and practice.
- Provide effective management support to colleagues and organisation including out of hours support and covering other managers, lead the team and facilitate effective and appropriate communication between staff and management.
- Ensure that safe working practices are used in caring for Young People, including safeguarding policies, procedures, manual handling, safe handling and distribution of medications and medical procedures.
- Participate in the recruitment, deployment and development of staff and the application of relevant HR procedures, e.g. AMP, annual leave.
- Manage delegated budget in the with the organisations financial regulations.
- Be responsible for the Homes premises, maintaining the physical and aesthetics of the building and furnishings.
- Compliant with Health & Safety requirements and regulations.
Restrictions - Please note this post will involve contact with vulnerable groups and therefore exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 and subject to an Enhanced Disclosure Barring Service (DBS) check. This exemption means that applicants for this post are required to declare all criminal convictions, cautions, reprimands and bind-overs both spent and unspent in their application, regardless of the passage of time.
The successful Registered Manager will have the following skills, qualifications and experience:
- Either, CQSW, SW Degree, NVQ4 Residential Diploma 5 and commitment to undertake Registered Manager’s award.
- Experience of working in a children’s residential setting for at least 3 years currently or in the last 12 months.
- You may be a Deputy Manager and considering promotion / advancement.
- Registered with HCPC – where appropriate.
- Knowledge of relevant legislation and good practice in terms of procedures and their application.
- Ability to ensure high quality service delivery, accounting for young people’s diverse needs.
- Substantial current experience with service users from a variety of heritages and backgrounds and with low self-esteem & challenging behaviour, including LAC.
- Prioritise and organise own work and that of the team (including rotas), set standards, work to clear objectives, show a flexible approach to work.
- Possess a variety of social work skills, knowledge and methods to achieve objectives, a clear understanding of appropriate social work theories, knowledge of child development, leadership.
- Ability to investigate, analyse and identify problems and their solutions
- Ability to work as part of the mentoring team and management team
- Ability and resilience to manage conflict/challenging behaviours.
- Ability to form and maintain constructive working relationships with colleagues, other companies, and demonstrating positive attitude to multi-agency working relationships.
- Prepared to visit locations other than the immediate workplace on a regular basis.
- As required by the needs of the organisation you will be expected to work outside core hours which may include evenings, weekends, bank holidays, waking night duty and sleep-ins.
- Expectation of participating in an on-call rota, which will include evenings, weekends bank holidays.
- Minimum age requirement of 23 (Care Standards Act 2000)
- Ability to communicate in community languages or non-verbally e.g. Makaton.
- Full UK Driving Licence.
- £40,000 to £50,000 depending on experience (high pay regionally in the industry for experience)
- Experience of running a children’s residential home for a minimum of 3 years and within the last 12 months
- Bonus scheme based on KPI’s