Transport Manager sought by a leading, forward-thinking builders merchant in Welham Green. One of two branches around London, this builders merchant is part of a group of companies operating in the construction sector.
Reporting to the Head of Operations, as Transport Manager you’ll play a vital role in supporting the business in managing and controlling the efficient movement of goods to customers. Your duties will include:
- Provide and manage a safe, efficient, reliable and cost effective delivery Transport service for the Company and our Customers. You will manage a team of Drivers to ensure a high standard of customer satisfaction at all times.
- To ensure safe and effective operational management of activities at both sites, taking account of customer service and people management obligations and responsibilities.
- Manage relations and operations with any Logistics/transport company with whom we are partnering to ensure efficient operational transport management.
- Planning, scheduling and reviewing workload to ensure production output to time and that delivery targets are achieved cost effectively.
- Management of Health & Safety at Work Regulations 1999, RIDDOR, CDM Regulations 2000.
- To ensure the organisation complies with current health and safety legislation approved codes of practice and guidance in relation to employment and service provision.
- To work proactively with managers to establish and maintain a system that promotes a culture of safe working practices across the organisation.
- Recruit, lead, train and motivate a team of Drivers to ensure the best level of internal and external customer service is provided.
- Arrange for replacement drivers and vehicles when necessary.
- Plan, organise and manage the routing of deliveries and collections to meet the requirements of the business and our customers.
- Be pro-active in developing operational improvements, focusing on cost reductions and customer satisfaction, and embrace any changes that are implemented with a positive attitude.
- Ensure the vehicle fleet is effectively utilised by managing Jobs per Vehicle, PDA usage and gate times to exceed company transport performance targets.
- Ensure the vehicle fleet is well maintained along with holding accurate documentation and records.
- Updating transport KPIs and report on a regular basis.
- Manage costs efficiently ensuring they stay in line with budgets, sourcing parts from alternate suppliers rather than a main dealer and raising purchase orders.
- Represent the company of the business and portray a professional and business like image to all customers, potential customers and other people you meet in the course of your work.
- Download digital Tacho cards and vehicle units on a regular basis.
- Carry out periodic driver licence and qualification checks. Maintain fuel use and re-fuelling processes.
- Update and maintain yearly planner to show a minimum of six months of planning ahead.
- Compliance: Promote and ensure compliance with transport policies, procedures, audit processes and legislation (e.g. Tachograph, Towing, ADR regulations).
- Health & Safety: accident investigation, monthly communication strategy, advising line managers on HSE matters and implementing legislation, performing prevention inspections, and assisting in retaining and attaining quality accreditations.
- Maintenance: leading the Company in meeting regulatory obligations, facilitating risk assessments, inspections and checks on fleet, loading/unloading, PMIs, MOTs, Tacho calibrations etc.,
The successful Transport Manager will have:
- Proven transport knowledge and planning skills
- Builders Merchant experience
- Professional and efficient approach
- Detailed understanding of relevant legislation in transport and Health and Safety
- Strong leadership and people management skills
- Ability to motivate team to achieve results
- Good verbal and written communication
- £30,000 - £35,000 depending on experience
- Company benefits including Pension Scheme
- 23 days + Bank holidays
- Casual Dress
- Preferential staff rates on purchases
- Hours: Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm. Alternate Saturdays 7am to 3pm
Welham Green, Hertfordshire commutable from North London, Watford, Barnet, St Albans, Welwyn Garden City, Enfield, Cheshunt, Hemel Hempstead, Hertford etc
£30,000 - £35,000 depending on experience + benefits