Control Systems Engineer (SCADA)
Essex/Milton Keynes (travel)
c£70,000 + Car + Benefits package
Our client, EDL (UK), is part of EDL an Australian based clean and remote energy company. Since they began, over 30 years ago, their business has been fuelled by a different kind of energy. A passionate and driven entrepreneurial spirit that has sparked many innovative solutions and created an energy portfolio of unparalleled diversity. EDL manages a global portfolio of power stations in Australia, North America and Europe. EDL are a leading global producer of sustainable distributed energy. They are part of the Cheung Kong Group, with operations in 52 countries, employing 313,000 people and with a market cap of >£50bn. EDL owns and operates 11 assets in UK/Europe (10 landfill gas power stations in the UK), which sell into the wholesale market as well as generate revenue from green energy credits. They have a strong reputation with customers and stakeholders in the region.
Due to expansion of their portfolio and diversifying into new renewable energy projects, an exciting opportunity has arisen for a Senior hands-on Control Systems Engineer who brings strong SCADA and control systems expertise. Reporting to the Electrical Manager, you will be responsible for delivering and developing a new control system for their new assets whilst effectively managing SCADA across their existing LFG energy engine assets ensuring maximum gas outputs. You will be expected to travel to key locations as required as well as being based from Milton Keynes location. You will maintain and support the Operational Technology assets, which include Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) software, control system software and hardware (Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC) and Remote Telemetry Units (RTU)) and their control network interfaces. An understanding of an engineering, energy or operational multi-site business would be beneficial but not essential, as the experience and person fit are critical too. You will also be required to work closely with IT, electrical and operations teams to effectively and efficiently resolve issues affecting Operations.
- Manage the day-to-day activities of the SCADA across their assets and related SCADA projects and enhancements.
- Procure, manage, develop, implement and commission a new control system for new assets.
- Electrical Engineering Designs and Execution – on time, to budget, to standard
- Technical Support and Prompt Closure of Operational Issues
- Health, Safety and Environmental Compliance -personally and of works delivered
- Maintain, develop, and report SCADA work plans, SCADA department work and projects.
- Responsible for the development of O&M and Capital budgeting for SCADA and associated applications.
- Responsible for the development, implementation, and adherence to SCADA standards in close coordination with Gas Control Operations and other internal stakeholders.
- Manages and provides general SCADA System development, configuration and administration.
- Responsible for the development of necessary documentation on SCADA and associated systems.
- Responsible for developing procedures, processes, and applications necessary to provide safe and secure operations systems that meet reliability regulatory standards.
- Responsible for monitoring the SCADA system and related applications for performance issues.
- Responsible for controls, OT systems and automation
- Assist with design and implementation of a computerised asset management system that covers all aspects of maintenance work planning and control, asset listing, spare parts management, history records, and maintenance performance reporting on OT hardware and software including version control.
- Utilisation of a computerised asset management system to plan maintenance work, spare parts management, failure prediction and excessive breakdown/failure diagnosis.
- Ensure compliance with the company’s Management of Change process for software and hardware changes.
- Ensure compliance with the company’s Job Safety Environmental Assessment (JSEA) requirements for non-standard work when undertaking work on site (either at site or via remote).
- Interact with other engineering/technical disciplines such as the Asset Management – Engineering Services and Engineering Support groups to assist with asset improvement projects.
- Work closely with electrical and mechanical engineering disciplines in developing, maintaining, fault finding and improving appropriate control systems for operational and project-based work across EDL in the UK
We are searching for an up and coming engineer who has developed an enviable track record in SCADA management and implementation across a Power/Heavy industry/Technology business and has a broad working knowledge of control systems and operations technology, in order to be effective through supporting the current assets whilst assessing, reviewing and providing the necessary thinking and solutions for their new acquired assets and developments. This is very much a hands-on role; as such you will be expected to spend a substantial time in the field to maximise performance and solutions whilst providing management the support required. By their nature, these are 24/7 operations and demand a strong work ethic, technical competence, commitment to detail and solid management skills.
- Experienced in the design, documentation, implementation and development and testing of a variety of PLC & SCADA control systems.
- 5 or more years of SCADA systems experience gained from within the power/heavy industry sectors.
- Degree, HND or HNC in electrical engineering/computer science/technology related to SCADA/ICS/DCS or 6 years of relevant work experience.
- Thorough knowledge of gas reciprocating engines and large-scale batteries would be an advantage.
- Thorough knowledge of SCADA concepts, principals and best practices.
- Knowledge of various RTUs, PLCs and programmable relays.
- Familiarity with development of process engineering disciplines as applied to small scale power generation projects.
- Knowledge of network communications and coding and scripting.
- Apply Process Flow, and Piping & Instrumentation Diagrams for small scale power generation projects.
- Produce and mark up schematic diagrams
- Prepare, audit, and implement power station Control Philosophy documentation.
- Project management and management of contractors
- Customer focussed in providing technical and logistical solutions to particular requirements
- Experience with the following vendor control systems and SCADA will be an advantage; Allen-Bradley SLC, Schneider M340 and Citect SCADA.
- Knowledge of Workplace Health & Safety Act and safe work procedures.
- Knowledge and understanding of process operations in power generating plants.
- High level of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Ability to participate in a multi-disciplined, multi-skilled work environment.
- Effective time management and organisational skills.
- Demonstrated initiative, motivation and high personal work standards.
- Ability to work effectively in pressure situations, with competing priorities.
- Committed and motivated to achi