A Head of Property is sought by one of the largest law firms in Warwickshire, with offices throughout the region. With over 30 years of history within the team, the firm has experts in legal services including litigation, property, commercial, family mediation and immigration.
Reporting to the Operations & Finance Manager, as the Head of Property you will be responsible for the management of the Property Department, providing strong leadership to the commercial and residential property teams, including financial management and budgeting, departmental risk compliance and performance and development of staff.
You will undertake all aspects of commercial property work including both leasehold and freehold matters. Provide advice and assistance on residential property matters where necessary.
Handling existing caseload and developing work in the Firm’s office locations at Leamington, Coventry, Nuneaton and Southam, you will be managing 10 people (legal assistants and conveyancing executives) across the three sites.
Work in accordance with the Office Manual, SRA Code of Conduct and SRA Accounts Rules and The Law Society CQS and LEXCEL standards.
Act at all times in an appropriate way as an employee of a professional practice.
- Day-to-day management of the Property Department. Ensure staff within the department are suitably trained and have clear development plans.
- Conduct and co-ordinate performance and file reviews within the department.
- Deal with all aspects of commercial property, including business leases (industrial and retail units). Landlord and Tenant applications, dilapidation claims and development work. Attend commercial clients in the offices and at their place of work.
- Oversee residential property department and provide guidance as necessary.
- Responsible for the department achieving its budgets.
- Formulate ideas and strategy for the long-term development of the department through the Firm’s four offices
- Pro-active marketing and business development of the department, with the assistance of the Business Development Director to include attendance at networking and exhibition events.
- Responsible for implementing and managing Risk and Compliance policies of the Firm relating to property matters.
- Deal with complaints that arise within the department
- Ensure departmental procedures are AML, Lexcel and CQS compliant
- Ensure policies and Membership decisions which affect Property Department are implemented promptly and with responsibility
- Responsible for the development of existing and new systems and processes within the department and work with enhancements in technology, ensuring all staff are suitably trained and briefed.
- Arrange and chair regular departmental meetings and to ensure effective communication within the department.
- Attend management meetings, if required, as the representative of the department and Head of Department meetings
- Organise and attend all appropriate internal and external training seminars.
- Undertaking any reasonable instructions given by Members within the limits of this employment description
The successful Head of Property will demonstrate:
- Preferably at least 5/6 years PQE in Commercial Property
- Sound knowledge of residential property (leasehold and freehold)
- Computer literate
- Friendly and personable
- Ability to work on own initiative
- Excellent organisation skills
- Driving licence and use of own vehicle essential
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Windows, Microsoft Word, Outlook and Excel
- Experience of case management systems and time recording
- Knowledge and understanding of current AML regulations, SRA Accounts Rules and Code of Conduct Awareness of cybersecurity and data protection issues and legislation
- To work outside strict office hours as necessary
- Up to £75,000 depending on experience
- Companywide performance based bonus scheme
- 25 days holiday + bank holidays
- Birthday off after 5 years service
- Office is closed for an extra day over Christmas period
- Bupa Health Cash Plan (after three month probation) money off opticians and dental
- £1,000 towards parking
Head of Property
Based in Coventry Warwickshire with time split between Coventry, Leamington Spa and Nuneaton
Up to £75,000 depending on experience + benefits